Each year Facilities conducts a one-day complete steam system shutdown to safely perform necessary and routine maintenance. See below for details and impacts from the upcoming steam shutdown on June 8, including limited hot water and cooler temperatures in some areas.
- Thursday, JUNE 8, 2017
- All day, midnight to midnight
- Affects all buildings on the main campus, as well as Forbes College, McCarter Theater, 1-14 West College Road Apartments, and the Graduate College.
- Limited or no hot water in most buildings, please plan accordingly
- Cooler than normal temperatures, especially in labs and some offices
- During the summer, steam is used for domestic hot water, some types of clothes dryers, laboratory autoclaves, commercial kitchens, and for space re-heating after the cooling coils have dehumidified the air.
We recommend you have a sweater or jacket on hand Thursday, June 8 to stay comfortable with possible cooler inside temperatures. Since steam will not be available to re-heat cool, dehumidified air, a particularly humid day can cause even cooler inside air temperatures. Our annual steam shutdown happens the Thursday following commencement every year to minimize the impact on our campus community. Thank you for your cooperation and we apologize for any inconvenience this maintenance may cause.
- Hot water interruption, cooler indoor temps
- Dorm occupants
- Athletic building occupants
- Administrative building occupants
- Academic building occupants
- 1 - 14 West College Road Apartments
- Forbes College
- Main Campus
- McCarter Theatre
- New Graduate College
- Old Graduate College