The Bainbridge House, built in 1766 by Job Stockton, is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Princeton. Important historic events occurred in the Bainbridge House, including it being the birthplace of William Bainbridge, a hero of the War of 1812, and as a location for lodging the Continental Congress in 1783. Owned by Princeton University since 1877, for more than 50 years it served as the home of the Princeton Public Library. Starting in 1967 and continuing until 2015, Bainbridge House was occupied by the Historical Society of Princeton.
The University has engaged Murphy Burnham and Buttrick Architects of New York City to help develop a plan to preserve and restore Bainbridge House’s historic features while updating it for new uses and making it more accessible.