Frick Chemistry Laboratory (2010)

The original Frick Chemistry Laboratory was built in 1929 and at the turn of the millennium it was no longer conducive to the pursuit of cutting-edge science in the 21st century. The original facility was making it more difficult to recruit world-class faculty and graduate students to what was essentially a rabbit warren with cramped, gloomy hallways that darken the department’s mood, along with its zeal for collaboration amongst its researchers.
A new, state-of-the-art science facility now houses the chemistry department. It accommodates laboratory space for both research and teaching. Faculty and administrative offices are included. A skylit atrium connects the laboratory wing with the administrative offices providing a light filled space with pedestrian bridges for special functions to promote scientific collaboration.
Efforts have been made to make the new Chemistry building (and the surrounding Natural Sciences Neighborhood) one of the most environmentally sustainable areas of campus. In addition to landscape and stormwater strategies that restore, enhance, and expand the natural areas, the new Chemistry building incorporates many sustainable building technologies. A series of proposed features will reduce energy demand and conserve water.

Sustainability features: 
Rainwater harvesting
Radiant panel heating system
Photovoltaic solar panels
Energy-efficient HVAC system and controls
Energy-efficient lighting and controls
Cascading airflow from office areas to laboratory
Heat recovery systems for air handling units
Condensate re-use

Project updates