Princeton is one of a handful of non-agricultural universities to have its own greenhouses and nursery, thanks to Beatrix Farrand's vision in 1935. As Princeton's first landscape architect, Farrand argued the University could save money, gain new plant varieties and acclimate plants to the New Jersey environment by growing them in-house. In 1935 the original greenhouse was located between what is now Roberts Stadium and Faculty Road. We now have multiple greenhouses and a nursery south of campus, just down the road from where we make our own soil and mulch.