The Butler tract buildings, bounded by Harrison Street, Hartley Avenue, and Sycamore Road, were constructed in 1947 as temporary housing for returning military personnel. Over the years, they have been modestly upgraded, and some ‘new’ units were built in the 1980s. As recently as spring 2015, all units were being used for graduate student housing.
The completion of the Lakeside Graduate Housing complex eliminated the need for these aging units. This project included the demolition of approximately 113 structures (360 residences), disconnecting the utilities serving the properties, and capping off the utility infrastructure. The current roads, sidewalks, fencing, and street lights remain in place. Water service is maintained to supply fire hydrants and hose bibs as needed to establish plantings. Trees were removed in accordance with the landscape plan and meadow grass mixes were planted to supplement the remaining trees.