What is Resource Recovery (formally Surplus)?
The Resource Recovery program serves as an important function to help us conserve University resources, support sustainability efforts, and safely dispose of electronics and other items.
- Check Resource Recovery first if you need office items for your department At no cost to your department, you can often find items such as filing cabinets, chairs, desks and tables, computers, and whiteboards
- Find a new home for the office items you can no longer use Contact Resource Recovery first, and review the University's Resource Recovery program policies for more details
- Properly dispose of broken, outdated, and unusable items We will determine the correct, and lawful way, to dispose of your items
- By appointment only, masks required due to COVID-19 University policy
- Call 609-258-2347 or email email@example.com to set up an appointment
- Appointments available Monday - Friday, 8 am - 2 pm
Coming to the Warehouse
Our warehouse is located at 755 Alexander Road, Door 4 (just south of route 1). If you are interested in items for personal use, you will need to bring a Mastercard or Visa credit card, we do not accept cash. And remember, the items are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Viewing & Submitting items online
- View items for purchase on the Resource Recovery Website
- Submit items into Resource Recovery
- Resource Recovery Website For Resource Recovery coordinators (link coming soon)
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (609) 258-2347 to find a coordinator for your department (if you are not one).
- The Resource Recovery Guide outlines our procedures and policies.
- Pre-Move: If your furniture is attached to a wall or has multiple pieces attached to each other, please let us know you will need disassembly help when you submit your item. If our movers arrive and don't know your furniture needs to be disassembled, your move may be delayed.
Email email@example.com or call (609) 258-2347 with any questions about the University Resource Recovery Program.
Subscribe to the Resource Recovery sales email to receive emails on special sales and what's happening (please be sure to remove your default signature from the email).
Preparing items for pickup
Preparing items for proper pick-up helps respect our staff and protect University interests and the environment. Your cooperation is very much appreciated. Please note we are unable to return an item once it has been picked up.
- Include item-specific information on your Resource Recovery pick-up work order
- Include asset tag number (a small barcode sticker with Princeton logo and a number)
- Include the serial number for any electronic device
- Contact Customer Service, 609-258-8000, for assistance
- Empty furniture of ALL items prior to pick-up, especially file cabinets
- Clear all food waste from mini-refrigerators prior to pick up
- Unlock all furniture/file cabinets prior to pick-up and tape keys to the appropriate item
- Keys can be obtained from the University lock shop if needed
- List ALL items for pickup on the work order (cabinets, shelves, lamps, couches, desks, cabinets, electronics, etc.)
- Help us pick-up the correct items
- Respect our moving staff's tight schedule
- Label item(s) for pick-up to assure we collect the correct items (a handwritten note taped to item(s) is fine)
Items departments no longer use must be turned over to the Resource Recovery program so that University capital asset records can be updated and the item or items can be redistributed to other departments, sold, donated, or recycled.
University property may not be removed from the campus for personal use, resale, or other unofficial use unless processed through the purchasing department. This includes discarded items, equipment, or supplies in use by departments or by students, tenants, or visitors. Do not remove items from dumpsters, garbage cans, or any other disposal location for personal use or sale. This is against the University’s Facilities Policy.