To save energy and money, we balance providing a comfortable environment for our community with conservation, minute by minute. Facilities' control center, known as CSCS, controls the temperature of campus buildings and our engineers program temperature changes across campus based on classroom usage, events, normal building hours, break schedules, summer camps, etc. It takes an exceptional effort, and we don't always get the temperature changes in every location exactly right, but the annual savings and positive impact on our sustainability goals makes these efforts well worth it.
When locations are occupied, our temperature targets help guide the balancing act between conservation and comfort. Except in research labs and a few locations which require specific temperature ranges, all centrally controlled occupied spaces are programmed to within our "Tiger Zone":
- heat to 68 F/20 C in the winter
- cool to 78 F/26 C in the summer (if air conditioning is available)
Request heating/cooling for events, working late, etc.
If you are hosting an event or using a location outside of normal hours, please let us know ahead of time by calling the Customer Service Center or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the campus location, date and time the space will be occupied.
If you believe the temperature in your location is outside the "Tiger Zone," please call the Customer Service Center or submit a service request. We have temperature cards for you to borrow to help identify the temperature in your specific location.
How you can actively participate in conservation measures:
- Know that heating and cooling systems do not function at the same time and require building level transitions
- Buildings typically switch to HEAT in mid-October
- Buildings typically switch to AIR CONDITIONING (if available) in mid-April
- Report any leaks or excessive heating or cooling.
- Reach for a sweater in the winter, a fan in the summer.
- Turn off lights, monitors, and other equipment when not in use.
- Close fume hood sashes in laboratories to minimize the loss of cooled air.
- Do not operate electric space heaters, which consume large amounts of power and cause temperature control problems in other areas.
- Call (609) 258-8000 or submit an online service request if large spaces, i.e. classrooms, need a temperature adjustment due to a schedule change.
- Please be patient during any excessive heat periods when we cut back air conditioning and request that lighting in large areas be reduced.
Temperature adjustments are provided at no cost to you.